Saturday 18 September 2010

Colorshow - The Avett Brothers

Post number 2!!

Many of you may have heard of The Avett Brothers, and like me debated how to pronounce 'Avett.' Amazing band, one of a wave of some of what could be considered the American 'neo-folk/country/revival' idea, along with some known artists such as Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes. However I see their latest album, 'I and Love and You' which seems to have launched our awareness of them over here which can be grouped into this category of artists.

As much as I adore 'I and Love and You,' and do think it is their strongest record, my favourite Avett Brothers song is this one, 'Colorshow' from the 'Four Thieves Gone: The Robbinsville Sessions' record.



What I take from the song is a mix of frustration and anger and there's definitely some love in their too. You listen to how singer Seth Avett, screams the lyrics out. From what I think he's about to bring on some change to him, telling someone that enough is enough and he's willing to hurt to get to it. My favourite line in the whole song is when he screams, 'Yeah come on, pain and all.'

Either that or he's giving something up for in order to be with the person he wants to be with. The chorus 'And I'm done, forever, It's you and me forever. Cos I'm done, forever, It's you and me forever' gives that impression.

This is one of the songs I like to crank up to 11 and belt along to when I'm feeling frustrated. It's almost liberating belting out the chorus at top voice!!

The first time this song really hit me was one sunny day, I was cycling from my house in the south side of Glasgow over to Kelvingrove park in the West End., sunglasses on, headphones up full, and when this song came on I just seemed to have endless energy to just go and go and go.

It's as I've written this, I've come to think that this song is a song of release, liberation and moving on. As the song fades out you hear Scott Avett (Seth's brother funnily enough!) screaming 'And I'm done, And I'm done....'

Truely an amazing song! Check out the record 'Colorshow' is on but also check out the latest record, 'I and Love and You' and 'The Second Gleam.'

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment