Wednesday 15 September 2010

Debut.

So. This is blogging is it? I recently decided that I wanted to start a blog about songs. The basis is that I want to post video's of songs, be it live, acoustic, cover, official video.....whatever, and to tell you a bit about the song, how I know of the song, memories that come from it etc. I'd also like it to be a starting point for conversation, where those that read and listen will get involved aswell. So please discuss and bring your own opinions.

The 37 comes from my unknown obsession for the number.


So I was looking for inspiration for the first song to post. Then I came across an article which was talking about a singer who broke down in tears on stage, immediately this song came to mind.




Great band, great song and a great story behind the song. The lyrics make it pretty obvious, Karen O the singer wrote the lyrics about her lover at the time who was leaving her. In interviews with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs they state how 'Maps' is their love song, and that it's the one song they'd want everyone to hear as it means a lot to each of them on various levels. You'll notice towards the end of the video, that Karen O breaks down in tears. This was a total off the cuff moment, unscripted for the video. It's these moments I love in music, when emotion really cuts through the performance and the audience see more than just a band playing some songs, but a real vent for emotion.

If anyone who reads this doesn't know a lot about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then this song is very different to their normal stuff which is equally good. Songs such as 'Date With the Night,' 'Gold Lion,' and their latest album 'It's Blitz' is full of amazing tracks.

Some other songs I thought about posting today were This Mortal Coil's cover of 'Song To the Siren,' one of my favourite covers. Or a song by a band I only recently discovered, The Magnetic Fields, called 'I Don't Want To Get Over You,' from the album '69 Love Songs.' which is exactly that, a 3 disc album of love songs.

Hope you enjoy this and please give any feedback you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment